Ch. 45: Auspices of Her Parents

Sunlight broke through the cloud cover and cast its warmth on the wild grasses in the backyard of the farm house. Lara returned from the grove of oak trees and the stream that ran through it, folding her arms, carefully walking past small puddles of water, noticing the spattering of yellows and whites from small ground flowers.

She looked up into the sky and could see small patches of blue. It appeared as if the storm was moving on, and summer would finally return its sunny warm weather.

The sunlight slowly passed over the steps of the farm house's back porch. Lara followed it and sat down to warm herself up. She could hear noises inside the house of people talking, and wondered how Julia was doing.

"Tap, tap, tap." She heard from one of the windows.

It was Julia, looking out the window, trying to draw Lara's attention.

Lara turned around to look, and waved hello. Julia waved back. Lara then made a motion with her finger, calling Julia to come outside. Julia opened the door slightly and peeked out, trying to hide the the nightie she was wearing.

"Hi." She said.

"Hi." Lara returned. "I was just wondering what you're up to."

"I was helping Nan clean up."

"Come on outside and sit down with me."

"I can't. I'm not really dressed!" Julia answered, expressing trepidation.

"Oh! Well let me see!" Lara asked, hoping to see a more daring side of Julia.

Julia shyly took another step from behind the doorway to show Lara.

"How cute! Where did you get that?"

"It's Nan's. She's washing my clothes, so she gave me this to wear."

"That?" Lara asked, nearly laughing. "How does Nan fit into that?"

"It was just supposed to be for bed last night, but she hijacked my clothes this morning and now it's going to take awhile before they dry."

"Well come on out, there's no one around!"

"No! I can't!"

"Of course you can!"

"Uh! No. Not like this!"

"As if there are any other people around here!" Lara said sarcastically.

Julia slowly took a step out and then sat down on the steps next to Lara. As soon as she sat, the nightie pulled up above her waist, exposing her labia and tuft of auburn brown hair. She crossed her legs so as to reduce disclosure.

Lara giggled as she watched.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Julia asked.

"Yeah, I slept really well!" Lara answered. "Nan gave me some nice blankets to keep warm. How about you?"

"It got it really toasty in the basement, but I went out like a light."

"Basement?"

"Yeah, they have a spare bedroom down there."

Lara stared out towards the grove of oak trees.

"Did you know the stream runs just inside those trees over there?" Lara asked.

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, I'd like to take a walk up stream and see where it goes. You wanna join me?"

"I don't know, I did a lot of walking yesterday."

"Oh, come on!" Lara said while turning her head to look at Julia. "What else are we going to do today anyways?"

"I don't know when my clothes will be ready!"

Lara sighed and rolled her eyes. "Well, you don't really need clothes anyways. Come on, let's go!"

"Ha, yeah right!" Julia said sarcastically. "Besides, I don't want to get this nightie dirty."

"Then take it off!"

"No! I'm not going to go out there naked!"

"Oh come on! Now you're finally on your own, and away from your parents, let yourself go and enjoy a moment of freedom. You'll love it!"

Julia remained quiet, making a doubtful expression on her face.

Lara pinched the shoulder strap on the black nightie Julia was wearing, and pulled it down a little. "Come on, try it. Now's your chance!"

Julia pulled the strap back up. She remained in her doubtful expression, taking a glance at Lara's face, and then looking back at the ground in front of her. Lara knew how to push her buttons. Julia spent her entire life under the watchful eyes of her religious, conservative parents, always wishing she could do the things other girls got to do in high school.

Julia took in a deep breath.

Lara put her hand on Julia's hand for just a moment, and again said, "Come on."