Ch. 10: Planning Her Escape

"Hello?"

"Lara? Hi! It's Julia."

"Oh hi!"

"I saw that you called me today."

"Yeah, I don't know, I was just feeling frustrated about finding a job."

"Where'd you go?"

"Nowhere, I started calling some nudist resorts. None of them are hiring."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Yeah."

"I'm sure you'll find one somewhere."

"There was one in Arizona that said they were building new rooms and a restaurant and might have an opening next Spring."

"Well that's something!"

"I suppose so. I don't know. That's so far away."

"You should go online, there's all kinds of groups and clubs. I bet you can find one for nudists and they might know places with job openings."

"Yeah, maybe. Hey, so have you decided on when you're going to leave for Fort Wayne?"

"Well, I guess I can leave now if I wanted. My aunt says she's ready to let me stay until I can move into a dorm."

"So are you leaving now, or what?"

"I don't know, probably soon though."

"Well, do you think I can tag along with you?"

"To Fort Wayne?"

"I don't know, either Fort Wayne, or somewhere else along the way."

"Well, yeah, but as long as my parents don't know about it. My Dad already has route my planned! But what are you going to do?"

"I don't know. I'm just sick of staying here. I need to get out and find something."

"Well remember, it's a small car, and it's already going to be filled with my stuff."

"That's OK, I'll be leaving most of my things at home."

"Are you sure about this Lara?  You really want to go to Fort Wayne?"

"Yeah!"

"Well, OK then.  But you can't stay at my aunt's. I mean, she's not going to let you stay there."

"I know, I'll figure something out."

"Hey, maybe we can spend some extra days seeing stuff. Play tourist and all!"

"Yeah, sure!"

"Well then, I guess I need to figure out what day to leave, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Does your mom know you're leaving?"

"No, I'll tell her about it tonight though."

"Well, I guess I'll let you know when I get everything figured out. Should probably be soon though."

"Sounds great!"

"Well, I probably should take my shower and get ready for bed. I'll talk to you later, OK?"

"OK, bye!"

"Bye!"

Lara hung up the phone with a sense of fear. She had just pushed herself off into the deep end without really knowing if she can swim. However, this was "real Lara" without doubt, preferring to hold nothing back and figure out the details later.

There was a destiny she could feel, as if it were outside waiting for her and she had to do go out there and get it. She recognized she had become the lame horse trying to get out of the starting gate. She was determined to correct that, and once she was determined, she focused only the goal.

"Don't think about who's watching or what's around you, only think about me."

Lara felt good about throwing away all her clothes. That was her first bold step. Now she took the next step by telling Julia she was going to leave home with her. All she needed to do next, was tell her mom.