Ch. 19: Julia Loses Her Cell Phone

Julia drove the car out of the rest area and proceeded down the freeway. Lara told her about the security guard's car, which she mistook for a police car and the two had some laughs.

About ten minutes later, Julia kept one hand on the steering wheel while using the other to check her purse, but she had trouble trying to multi-task.

"Can you look in my purse and find my cellphone?" she asked Lara.

Lara opened it up and went through it.

"No, it's not there."

"Shit!" Julia exclaimed. "I think I left it at the rest stop."

"Are you sure it's not in your pocket?"

"No, I had it in my purse, and was checking messages when I was in the stall. I'm thinking I probably set it down on the toilet paper dispenser and forgot it."

Julia had to drive another two miles down the freeway until she could exit, and then get back on going the opposite direction. She had to pass the rest area, going another mile before she could turn around and come back the other direction again. When she pulled into the rest area, she hurried out and went into the women's room.

About five minutes later she emerged, but without her cell phone.

She shook her head to let Lara know she didn't find it.

Meanwhile, Lara looked around through the car, just to make sure. Julia returned to the car, upset.

Lara looked across the parking lot to see if the off duty security officer was still there, but she was not.

"There's a pay phone over there." Lara pointed out. "Maybe you can call your cell phone and find out who answers it."

"That's a good idea!" Julia replied.

She opened her purse and found a quarter. She got out and ran to the pay phone and placed a call to her cellphone. The phone rang a few times, until finally someone answered.

"Hello?" A young girl's voice answered.

"Hi, my name is Julia, and I left my cell phone at a rest stop and you must have picked it up."

There was a pause. Finally, another voice answered, a more mature sounding woman's voice.

"Hello? Who is this?"

"Hi." Julia answered again. "I left my cell phone at a rest stop, and I'm calling it from a pay phone. You must have it. I'd like to get it back please?"

"Well, we just got into Spartanburg right now. You'll have to meet us there."

"OK, where can I meet you?"

"We'll be at the chicken restaurant on your left, as you get off on Hwy 221. I'm in a dark blue mini-van."

"OK, I'll see you there."

"OK."

Julia hung up the phone and ran back to the car.

"We have to go to Spartanburg. Some lady has it and wants to me drive there to get it."

"We must have driven past her somewhere." Lara said.