Ch. 20: Revenge at the Chicken Restaurant

"Damn it!" Julia exclaimed. "I can't lose that phone! I have everything in there!"

"Well, I'm sure you'll get it back." Lara tried to console.

"I better! My dad's going to be calling me on it!" 

"You will." 

"If I don't he's going to kill me!"

Seeing Julia worried and upset always had an effect on Lara. She reacted by feeling mostly worried, but also frightened. Julia had been a comforting figure for Lara in the years after she was separated from Teresa, and she had come to rely on Julia.

Julia sped down the Interstate. She weaved in and out of cars and yelled at drivers who got in her way. Lara felt uneasy and grabbed on to the passenger door hand rail.

"Will you get out of the way!" Julia shouted at another car.

About 30 minutes later, Julia saw the exit signs for Highway 221.

"Finally!" She exclaimed.

After taking the exit, she made a left just as the woman instructed and looked for the chicken restaurant.

"I think that's the place" Julia pointed. 

She pulled into the parking lot and drove slowly looking around for a dark blue mini-van. She finally spotted one, but it appeared to be empty. She got out of her car and walked over, but found no one inside. 

"Maybe they're inside the restaurant?" Lara asked gently, careful not to agitate Julia.

"Maybe." Julia acknowledged.

Julia headed for the restaurant and walked inside. It was crowded and busy. She began wandering around hoping that someone would catch her attention. She had no idea of who to look for. Almost immediately, a little girl walked up to her and asked her if she was looking for a cell phone.

"Yes! That's me." Julia said.

"My mom is over there."

Julia followed her over.

"Is this what you're looking for?" The woman asked.

Julia saw a heavy set woman, not looking friendly in any way at all. She had two other children seated with her.

"Yes, that's my phone." Julia said.

"It'll cost you $40.00 to get it back." The woman replied.

Julia stood silent for moment, stunned that someone would make her pay to get her own phone back.

"No! That's my phone! I need it back!" She raised her voice.

"Well, it's mine now. $40.00!" The woman insisted, pulling it away and putting it back into her purse.

Julia dropped her shoulders and rolled her eyes.

"You can't do that! That's stealing!" She took a step forward saying, "I want my phone back!"

"Don't you dare come close, or you'll be sorry!" She warned.

Julia remained where she was and stood in disbelief that someone would hold her cellphone for ransom.

"Pleas! I'm expecting a very important call from my father! I need that phone, please!"

"40 bucks!"

The woman turned her attention back to her dinner, trying to ignore her. Other restaurant customers took notice of Julia making a commotion.

"Uh!" Julia sounded in frustration, throwing her hands up in the air. She turned around and walked back to her car. Julia got inside and began digging in her purse.

"Did you get your phone back?" Lara asked.

"No! This fat bitch wants me to pay $40.00 to get it back!" Julia explained while opening up her purse to retrieve some money.

"What? Are you serious? She can't do that!"

"Well, what am I going to do? I mean, I can't exactly take her down or anything! She's huge!"

Julia pulled out a couple of twenties and walked back into the restaurant.

"Here!" She said. "Can I have my phone back?"

The woman handed the phone back to Julia.

"Thank you very much" she said proudly.

Julia walked back to her car and got back inside.

"Wait a minute" Lara said. "We can't just let her do that."

Lara opened the door and got out.

"What are you going to do?" Julia asked.

Lara walked to the woman's minivan and crouched down to unscrew the valve cap on one of the rear wheels. She pushed down on the valve stem and let the air out until the tire was flat. Then she did the same to the other wheel, except she was now in view of the restaurant. By the time she had let all the air out of the second tire, the woman pushed the restaurant door open and yelled out.

"Hey get away from my car!"

She ran towards Lara. But Lara quickly got back into Julia's car, and Julia sped off. The two laughed hysterically as Lara looked behind to see the woman flipping them off.