Ch. 16: Naked in Columbia

Traffic was heavy getting into downtown Columbia. After 10 minutes of driving, following the man Lara met at the gas station, they still had not arrived at a Starbucks.

"10 minutes!" Julia announced. "That's it! I'm not following anymore!"

"No please! Keep following! Please! I really want a Starbucks! Please!" Lara begged.

It was another 5 minutes later when the girls noticed the man they were following sticking his arm out the window and pointing. Sure enough, it was a Starbucks.

"OK, this time we're going into the drive through." Julia said.

The man they were following stopped ahead of them at a left turn signal. Lara looked at the Starbucks building. It was located at the bottom floor of a much larger building.

"I don't think this one has a drive through." Lara observed.

"Uhh!" Julia gasped in frustration.

"I don't see a drive through."

The man they were following continued driving, taking a U-turn and coming to a park along the curb a few cars lengths away from Starbucks. Julia pulled in behind him and parked along the curb as well.

"Do not step out of the car!" Julia ordered, raising her voice.

"Why?" Lara asked, quietly.

"Why?" Julia barked, sarcastically. "Look, as long as I'm driving you, you're going to do things my way!"

Lara scoffed.

"Your way?"

"Yes, my way! It's my car! I make the rules!"

Lara shook her head and grunted. "Fine, I guess I won't ride with you then." She proceeded to open the car door to step out.

Julia reached for Lara's arm to pull her back in.

"Stop!" Julia yelled. "OK, OK!"

Lara stopped and pulled her leg back into the car.

"Close the door please!" Julia begged.

Lara pulled the door closed. "Fine!"

"Thank you! OK. I'm sorry." Julia said.

There was a brief silence as Julia tried to collect herself and figure out what to say. Meanwhile, Lara spotted the man who had lead them here standing close by, waiting for them. She waved her hand at him to let him know they were aware of him.

Lara was already well aware of Julia's frustrations with her. Their relationship had largely been one where Julia saw herself as a big sister to Lara's little girl, and also that of therapist to Lara's mental illness. But Julia had no experience as a sibling and no training as a therapist. Moreover, Lara was no longer in the frame of mind of staying at home and hiding in her bedroom. Lara knew she had to learn how to survive on her own. This was new territory for both girls.

"You don't know who he is!" Julia tried to reason. "He might try something with you. You could be in a lot of serious danger."

"I don't think he's dangerous." Lara replied. "He looks nice and he sounded nice to me."

"Fine." Julia quipped, frustrated. "But let me go into Starbucks for you. I don't want..."

"No Julia. I need to figure this out. Maybe I won't go into a Starbucks naked every time. But, I need to figure out for myself how to get the things I need. I mean, I'm glad you're here. I know you're going to look out for me. But, I just need to this. OK?"

"Lara, they're going to call the police if you go in there."

"OK, fine, then I'll just have to go in and come out as fast as I can."

Julia shook her head as if to suggest Lara wasn't understanding. "But the police will come for us both, Lara. I'll be in trouble too!"

"OK so be it. I'll just ask this guy if he can drive me."

Lara opened the car door to get out.

"Lara! No!" Julia raised her voice, trying to grab Lara's hand. Lara shook her off, and walked towards the man. Julia grunted in frustration and got out of the car to join them.

When he noticed Lara walking towards him, the man walked to meet her.

"So do you go around naked in public all the time?" He asked.

"Yup, all the time." She answered.

The two entered into Starbucks.

"Hey, my name is Doug, by the way."

"Oh, I'm Lara. That's Julia!"

The three walked up to line. There were still a few other customers in front of them waiting. Lara looked around the coffee shop. She only saw one person looking at her. Everyone else seemed to be going at their own business.

"So how come your friend isn't naked too?" Doug asked.

"Please, really? One's not enough for you?"

"Well, OK!" Doug replied, rolling his eyes and sensing Julia's distance.

"I don't know, why aren't you naked, Doug?" Lara asked in return.

Doug laughed.

"So how old are you girls?"

"Uh, well that's none of your business." Julia snapped.

"Eighteen." Lara answered.

Other customers finally took notice of Lara, and a rush of whispers, giggles and whistles swelled up to take over the coffee shop. Flashes and snaps from cell phones and cameras soon followed. Lara immediately felt troubled, and pressed herself up close to Julia.

The girls and Doug finally got up to the counter to place an order. Lara tried to look confident, but was overcome with anxiety at the noise of giggles, whispers, and people trying to get a look. She presented her gift card and placed an order for an iced tea and a muffin.

"Sorry, we can't serve you." A girl at the cash register explained politely. The girl turned to look at her manager and motioned for him to come over.

"Oh." Lara answered, nervously above all the commotion.

"You're going to have to leave the store!" The manager said sternly, pointing his finger towards the door.

The store grew quiet as everyone watched and listened. Lara didn't know what to say or do, and put her hands together up to her chest, elbows to her sides, and head down. She started to feel traumatized.

"Come on, Lara." Julia whispered, holding Lara in her hands and trying to turn her around.

Doug stepped up to the counter.

"Sir, you mind please letting her order. She's very hungry, she doesn't have any clothes."

The manager shook his head. "Now! Or I will call the police!"

Lara jolted and shook under the anger of the manager. Julia was already walking Lara out of the coffee shop.

"I will get you an iced tea and muffin!" Doug turned to girls.

The two girls exited the coffee shop. Customers began snapping more photos, making more whispers and laughs.

Doug continued to place an order for Lara.

Inside the car, Lara remained quiet. The small success she found at the other Starbucks earlier in the day had left her feeling confident. But the commotion made at this Starbucks, along with the manager yelling at her to get out, raised the same traumatic feeling of being in high school with kids laughing at her.

"Lara? You OK?" Julia asked.

Lara didn't answer, but gave Julia a brief look. Julia wanted to say something to comfort her, but didn't quite know the right words to say.

"You poor thing." Julia comforted, reaching to Lara's hair and stroking her head. "I know you were trying to do the best for yourself."

Lara maintained her frozen position, but turned her eyes down and blinked.

"Maybe we just have to find a different Starbucks that's more friendly. Maybe one that's not in such a busy place like this." Julia continued.

Lara remained still. Julia's kind tone of voice was helping, and she appreciated that she knew how to get her out of trouble. The "traumatized teen" alter helped stop Lara from going down into her "six year old girl", where she would break down and cry in a situation like this. She could still maintain some composure, though still very much fragile and vulnerable.

There was a tap on the passenger side window. It was Doug holding a tray of drinks and a bag of goodies, with a huge grin.

The tapping jolted Lara and Julia, surprising the two.

Julia turned on the ignition, but didn't start the engine. She rolled the window down for Doug.

"Here are iced teas for you both, and here is a bag of muffins." Doug handed them to Lara.

"Thank you!" Julia acknowledged.

Lara smiled and turned her head for Doug. It was what she needed to pull herself out.

"Hey, that guy was a complete asshole for yelling at you like that. He had no right."

Lara made a half-smile and looked at Doug. "Yeah, I know."

"Oh, hey, here's your gift card back. I actually I threw another $50.00 on there for you."

Lara's face lit up with surprise.

"Oh!" She said with an endearing tone. "That's sweet of you! Ah!"

Lara opened the passenger door to get out.

"Lara! No!" Julia warned.

Lara ignored Julia, too surprised and happy to acknowledge her warning. She gave Doug a hug.

"Thank you so much Doug!"

Doug was elated.

"Hey, here's my card." He said. "You can call me anytime you want. Whatever you need, just call me, I'm glad to help."

"Thank you!"

"You girls here in town?" He asked.

"No, we're on our way to Fort Wayne." Lara replied.

"Fort Wayne. Indiana?"

"Yup!"

"Oh, OK. I remember you saying something back at the gas station about a college study."

Lara remembered now. It took her a few seconds to reset herself and remember.

"Yeah, it's part of a road trip!" She explained.

"Oh, road trip! Right! You have a place to stay there I imagine?"

"Julia does, but I'm just tagging along. So, we'll see."

"Lara!" Julia yelled, trying to get Lara's attention.

"Oh, OK. Well, when you get to Fort Wayne, and you end up needing a place to stay, give me a call. I can definitely arrange something for you."

"Yes! I just may!"

"Lara!" Julia continued to yell.

"What?" Lara yelled back.

"Let's go!"

"I guess I better let you girls go." Doug finished. "Good luck!"

"Thank you!" Lara replied, getting back into the car.

"About time!" Julia huffed, rolling her eyes.

"You see!" Lara continued. "Everything worked out!"